Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Flamenco Academy by Sarah Bird



Be warned, if you dislike romance novels, you'd be tempted to throw this book against the wall several times as you read it. But do press on as you will be duly rewarded, much as I was.

This book shines in the descriptions of dance and flamenco's passion. Even music was lovingly recreated in prose form. I loved the stories and the side characters more than the main one involving the protagonist Rae, her frenemy Didi and the guy she has an obsessive love for, Tomas. I would have given up on the book if the writer hadn't returned to flamenco each time she leads the reader to the highest point of frustration. I didn't like that minorities were treated unkindly in several instances either but perhaps that is a device employed by the writer to show how unsympathetic the narrator really is.

I didn't care for the ending but it was an ideal one for a character such as Rae and I can't find fault in that. I like that there's no magical fairy-tale ending. It was 'real' in that regard and I could forgive and sympathise with the character after all. The thing that saved it though was on the next page. The author listed many names, providing a list of resources on flamenco in her acknowledgement page. I'll write again after I've explored them. I hope the writer will try her hand at writing bellydance next. I will certainly read that.

Two links for keeping. I was left worried after a scene involving the fictional flamenco legend, Dona Carlota Montenegro. Her feet were wrecked after years of dancing and even Rae mentioned the pain in her own spine and knees. Don't want that to happen to me.

Flamenco Injuries 1
Flamenco Injuries 2

No comments:

Post a Comment